Saturday, January 23, 2010

Homework...ugh

I am avoiding my homework like the plague. I have to read for my pharm quiz due on Tuesday, review the materials for our midwifery lab class on Monday and read for my health policy class too. Blah. My friend had her baby girl yesterday -- 9lb 11oz at home. Big smile. Super proud of her. It seems like a lot of people I know on FB are pg and due in August (my birth month) --- seeing so many of my friends pg only gears up my baby-making itch. I want to have my first by 30, so I've got 5 years or less. Tick tock.

Right now I'm working on my coffee and making steel cut oatmeal for breakfast. Yum. Last night's mixer was boring, but a lot of my friends showed up so it wasn't too bad. I just had one (free) drink and then came home. My best friend from nursing school also came by to hang out for a little while. We'll call her SuperICUnurse. I hardly ever get to see her because of her crazy work schedule and my equally crazy school schedule. Plus she lives really far away. But the stars aligned yesterday and we got some quality time in. We hung out at the house for awhile, just catching up and then went out for sushi. She's probably one of the best things I got out of nursing school. We're going to be friends for life. No matter what. I love her.

The school was sponsoring a version of B*ggest Loser for this semester. Some of my girls signed up so I figured why not. The grand prize was a W*i Fit! Unfortunately, not a lot of my classmates were as amped about it so they cancelled it for lack of participation. Oh well. I've been trying to be better -- working out more. I actually don't eat like crap...in fact, when I keep track of daily intake -- I'm never anywhere near the recommended daily caloric intake. I try to eat all organic, minimally processed foods from the farmer's market. So I've been considering going vegetarian. I really don't eat a lot of meat --- probably the last remaining meat item in my diet is sliced turkey for my sandwiches. So I'm gonna try to phase that out and see if I like being vegetarian. I can't go vegan for my love of all things dairy and eggs. But we'll see how it goes.

Monday is our first midwifery lab -- we're practicing suturing, pudendal blocks, placental examination among other things. I'm really excited to learn all of these fun skills. Next week I think I'm going to ride my bike into school with a classmate. I'm excited to get back on my bike --- I haven't really rode it in a long time. And I've never had the opportunity to ride with someone else. It should be interesting because she bikes all the time. I told her my route was about 5 miles one way and she's like "Oh...so it should take us 20 minutes?" Hahaha -- maybe for her, but I ride leisurely there so I'm not a big sweaty mess that has to sit in class for 8 hours.

Blondie just bought a bike and so when she comes to visit we might go riding together. There are a lot of bike-friendly paths here in the city that we could try out. She's coming down for Valentine's Day (sweet, I know) weekend. The long distance thing is pretty challenging but I don't think it's that bad. I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing/getting her for Valentine's Day....suggestions would be helpful. I've been stuck on it for a little while. She's not a flowers and chocolate kind of girl. At all. I could make her dinner, we could go out to dinner...but it has to be something more than just that. Alright...I better get on my homework even though I don't want to.

No comments: