Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mini-vacation recap


Beloved and I just got back from FL in the wee hours this morning (around 2 am.) We managed get everything done except for taking the pups to the beach. Instead we treated them to an afternoon of luxury by the side of a pool. They loved it anyways. Here's a picture of the pups in Beloved's car. She got a new car so this was our last road trip in her old car. The trip went well except for my toe injury.


We were at the tourist spot picking up a new Vera Bradley bag for me and souvenirs for our friends. I went into a little shop to look at wind chimes. There was a shelf that was simply made out of 2x4s but at the ends it was not sanded. I sort of stubbed my toe on the corner and had this shooting pain. I looked down and saw a one inch splinter in my big toe, jammed under my toenail, deep in the nail bed, all the way to the cuticle. I have never felt such pain. I hobbled out of the store, sat down on a bench, and called Beloved in tears. She thought something bad (like a death) had happened, so she ran over to where I was and was like, "Oh...it's just a splinter!" It hurt so badly and was deep in my toe so I didn't want to pull it out on the spot. I hobbled back to the car, cursing the whole way, and we drove to Beloved's aunt's house. She performed surgery and removed the huge ass splinter. And while it felt much better not to have the splinter in my foot, my toe now looks like this.



So I hope it gets better soon because it feels bad to be on my feet. Nurses are always on the their feet.

To answer some questions on the blog, yes, I did check out the doula co-op organization. I am a member and they didn't mind that I had done my workshop through DONA instead of CAPPA. They just needed willing hands to help out. I'm actually on-call for today for the co-op. I may get called for a birth, but we'll see. A good friend of mine in my class took the CAPPA workshop and will go with me if there's a birth today. Also, a fellow member called to see if I could attend the birth of one of her client's because she will be out of town for a conference. So I will more than likely be doing a birth tomorrow. (Yay!)

The twins are here in Atlanta, but I have been so busy that I haven't been able to see them yet. I do promise that I will get to see the babies before they leave on Sunday. Anyways -- I have Pharmacology in an hour so I need to get ready. I will post more later on this week -- Friday is our first day in the hospital!! :)

4 comments:

Kim aka Mommy said...

Welcome back!

And OUCH!!

None said...

Dachshund road trip! They look so excited and so cute in that photo.

Sorry about the toe. Ouch. That really sounds like it hurt! I broke my toe my first year teaching and then rebroke it because I was on my feet all day and couldn't rest it. It did use it to my advantage though. I was teaching and one of my kids started complaining that he couldn't work b/c he had a headache. Another kid complained he couldn't work because of an itchy throat. I announced to my class, "I have a broken toe and have been standing on it all day and you haven't heard me complain once, have you?" This impressed them and after a round of questions about my broken toe, they got back to work and the headache and itchy throat complaints went away.

Lo said...

Oh they are so cute!!! Maggie likes road trips.

minority midwife said...

Hey! What did you want me to comment on?

LP