Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy (almost) Valentine's Day

So it's almost Valentine's Day.  I've been super busy but that's nothing new.  My weeks are about 60 hours of actual stuff I have to do (work, school, and clinical.)  Plus I've been trying to buy a pre-owned car in my (non-existent) spare time.  Beloved is going out of town for Valentine's Day so she surprised me with one of my most favorite things (an Ed*ble Arrangement).  Ever since my family sent me one for my birthday, I loved them!  Isn't it cute?  I got her a couple of DVDs she wanted.  

This past week we had to attend an "interdisciplinary team training" day with M3 medical students.  It was mostly boring and somewhat interesting.  We did a simulation together where we were able to mix up what roles (med students could be nurses and vice versa.)  They focused a lot on Universal Precautions.  I'm pretty sure this entire day was someone's thesis as we had to sign consents, do pre and post-activity surveys.  Blech.  After that day, I went to clinical and attended a surgery where no Universal Precaution (ie. surgical time out) was done.  So much for integrating theory into practice.  

Clinical has been going well this week.  I circulated a stat section and recovered the patient.  She ended up going to my floor in Mother-Baby so I saw her the next day when I was working.  Actually, this past Tuesday I saw a lot of moms who delivered on Monday night when I was at clinical.  It's funny because they remembered my face & name.  Kinda hard to explain to them why I see them all the time.  But whatever.  I emailed  the powers that be at work to see if it would be fine for me to stay on as an RN once I graduate.  I don't anticipate any problems.  I'm 0 for 3 in the IV starting department.  The last one I tried I got flashback but then her vein just disappeared.  I'm not stressing it -- it's just one of those skills that you have to just keep working at in order to consistently get it.  

Another project I've been working on is purchasing a car.  It has been going on for the past couple of weeks.  I know I want a H*nda -- either 2006 or newer.  It's kind of been narrowed down to two or three cars.  I'm going to test drive one in a little while and see if I can talk their price down at all.  If not, I will buy the car I've had my eye on for a little while.  Either way, I will post pics once I get it.  I haven't had a car for awhile, but I've promised myself I won't abandon my bike, especially now since the weather has been so beautiful.  I can handle 70 degree weather in February.  Hopefully it's not a fluke.  

I've been eagerly waiting to see some expectant friends in L&D.  Maybe I will run into you all tomorrow?  I'll be in L&D from 3-11p.  Saturday I will be doing Mother-Baby 7p-7a.  Let me know.  

3 comments:

Amy said...

we should definitely see you, we're getting really anxious!! do you know our last name so that you know who to ask for? we go in tonight for cervidel and hopefully cooper will be born sometime tomorrow afternoon (during your shift?). i'm guessing we'll be discharged sunday if all goes well?

Amy said...

hey, we're in room E-3!

Amy said...

thank you so much nurse midwife student for all that you did for us and cooper while we were in the hospital. the anchor nurse from sunday night, lisa sang your praises and told us about how you kept a close watch on cooper when she was in the nursery. that means more to us than you know. we'd love to have you guys over for dinner sometime. let me know if you're interested and what works for you.

thanks again!