Friday, January 22, 2010

Back to reality

This first week back has been super easy. I was supposed to have class from 9a-4p on Tuesday but my 3-4p class was cancelled so I ended my first day back at 11a. Not too bad. Wednesday I endured my (yes, it is awful) Pharmacology class, followed by my super awesome Women & Health Policy class. I got out early on day two as well because my lovely carpooling partner was feeling nauseous and didn't want to puke in public. Understandable. I like the policy class already because it's kind of a Women's Studies course about women's health and policy and politics. Very cool. The instructor mentioned we'd be watching a film on the pill and its development. She asked when the pill was released...I replied "1960s...after we tested it on Puerto Rican women without their consent most of which died." She was impressed :) A lot of people don't know the background behind contraception in this country. Like how Margaret Sanger actually wanted contraception to control the population of the immigrants and lower classes --- eugenics-style. Gross.

Next week is a little bit more to handle. Our program director sprung a weekly lab on us Tuesdays 4-5p. I am super excited for this lab for us to practice lovely midwifery things. We're doing a huge lab on Monday from 9-12, including suturing. I need to email my preceptor and get days in the clinic for this month. We start our call shifts in Feb and catching babies should soon follow thereafter. Monday's lecture was on postpartum. I feel pretty comfortable with postpartum because I worked in it for almost 2 years. I knew the answers to most of the questions my instructor posed to the class. We got a new midwifery-convert -- yay; but her name is the same as mine, sad face. I like being the only one. Oh well.

I just bought a new external hard drive so I'm currently porting things from my mac. Hopefully it will lighten my computer up a little bit. Tonight is the grad school's welcome back mixer that I'm going to with a few of my friends. And a good friend of mine from high school is in labor with baby number two today at home. Makes me smile big for her. :)


No comments: