Sunday, August 12, 2007

Thoughts on the book

I just finished reading Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block. It really amazes me how much pregnant women are subjected to in the medical mode of birth. What's more is that I'm shocked at how much evidence exists against the current model of care for pregnant women, yet the hospitals and obstetricians continue to dominate the playing field. The ACOG continues to refute the safety of any birth other than the ones which occur in a hospital despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The thing I find most surprising is that the issue of pregnant woman's rights remain under-addressed from feminist circles. As feminists, we discuss the paramount importance of choice for women -- mainly pertaining to abortion. My body, my choice. But it seems that mantra only applies to women who don't want to continue a pregnancy. Those words should apply at all times. At all times, it is a woman's body and ultimately her choice. Pregnant or not.

So why haven't feminists taken up the issues Block presents in her book? Why are we complacent that 1 out of every 3 women will be subject to a major abdominal surgery? Block raises an interesting point about our European sisters who have a much lower C-section rate...are their uteruses simply better equipped than ours? Is it really true that 1/3rd of all women are incapable of vaginal (normal) births? Why are we satisfied at turning women away for care because they want a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section)? Block also raises the point that by prohibiting VBACs (hospitals, malpractice insurers, and OB/GYNs) we're essentially forcing women to consent to a repeat c-section. How's that for reproductive choice? I am dismayed at the lack of outrage on behalf of feminists regarding a system so stacked against women.

The main thing I'd like to know is why...why the need for such control over women's bodies? Clearly if it's in the best interest for relatively low-risk women to deliver with midwives, and the OBGYNs complain they are over-worked, why put up such a fight? It makes me nauseous how this traditionally female authoritative knowledge has been taken away from midwives and placed with OBGYNs. The widely-accepted authoritative knowledge rests primarily with the medical community and midwives are the deviation.

In reading this book, I have reaffirmed my decision to enter this field -- to help women. I feel women's health issues are my calling. I specifically chose midwifery, rather than becoming an OB/GYN. I want to make a difference here and I believe I can. I will be one of the strong women who will help to bring about change. I just don't want to get sucked in a shitty system that routinely violates women's reproductive rights.

4 comments:

Amy said...

hey there! just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to welcome you to Atlanta! We've lived here for 9 years and can't imagine ever living anywhere else at this point. i hope you have the same experience. we use to spend a good bit of time at the Piedmont Park dog park though haven't been in since my 20 month old was probably 5 or 6 months old. we have a pretty dog friendly city which is cool. anyway, stop by our blog if you have any questions about atlanta, we'd be happy to help! http://raz.blogs.com

Amy said...

Hey Amber, thanks for stopping by! We'd be happy to meet up with you guys but are heading south at the end of this week to visit our family for 3 weeks so things are going to be quite hectic as a result. We both do consulting, and primarily work from home which is really nice but this week I will be going in to the office 2x which is just going to add to the chaos. We can definitely get together when we return, the 2nd week of Sept.

In the meantime, we lived in Decatur for 4 years, you guys are centrally located to EVERYTHING. We live about 10 minutes north east of Decatur now and enjoy several restaurants in Decatur still. Some of our favorites are: Taqueria Del Sol. It's very casual, in fact you order at the counter but the food and ambiance is great. We also go to a sushi place called Sushi Avenue. There's always the Watershed (directly across the street from Taqueria del Sol) that is fantastic (you've probably heard of it, it's been on the Food Network and is half owned by Emily Saliers), and finally Cafe Lily is really good, a little higher end but well worth the splurge.

I hear ya on it being too hot for the pups. We have a huge backyard and our Boston Terrier spends very little time out back these days, just way too hot!

Oh, I almost forgot, right across from Emory University, there are two more restaurants that we go to occasionally. On one side there's a place called Everybody's, good pizza and greek salad. On the other side of the street there's a bizarre tee-pee looking building called falafel king, it's very good too.

Melanie just looked over my shoulder and said that you're going to think all we do is eat. That may be partailly true but it seemed like the most obvious place to start when lending insight on the city. Let me know what else I can share that would be helpful for you guys and I'd be happy to.

Take Care! Feel free to email me directly btw and I'll send you my # if you'd like -

amyzim@gmail.com
http://raz.blogs.com

Carey said...

Hiya... since you commented on my blog about the Gipsy Kings, I thought I might see if you liked Rodrigo Y Gabriela?? I just discovered them... no singing, but some amazing guitar!!

Congrats on making it to Atlanta... and good luck with the unpacking & settling in. When do you start school? I start back up in the beginning of Sept (Marriage & Family Therapy)

And thanks for posting on my blog!! Although... I have a feeling you will be sorely disappointed in my choices when it comes to childbirth...(esp. based on your last post & your field) I hope it doesn't deter you from reading!! Steph is planning to try for as natural as she can handle though! :) We're a good balance I guess.

Tanya said...

Hi - just found your blog. I thought you'd be interested to know that Emory Healthcare has recently decided to end the midwife's practice portion of their OB/Gyn department. I'm a patient there, and I'm just incensed for number of reasons. First of all, the reasons given to me by their business admin. make no sense - insufficient demand for the services of their 3 midwives in such a large practice? I find that impossible to believe. And I think it's a really poor decision that the clinical arm of Emory has decided to terminate the employment of midwives when Emory's nursing school has one of the top ten programs in the country. So, your post really spoke to me - choices, as you say, are critical, and we're going to have to fight to keep them.