Thursday, September 13, 2007

A whole new world

So as I am in week #2 of nursing school, I have come to realize that I have immersed myself in a new world. It's a different way of thinking than I'm used to. We're encouraged to assimilate, dress the same, perform the same way, etc. Dissent is frowned upon as is questioning. We're being indoctrinated into a hierarchal organization and learning "our place" is an integral part of the curriculum. We're being taught a new language, how to communicate within this new system, and how to form new professional relationships. Coming from a liberal arts background, I am quite used to asking "why" and asking how things may affect a variety of people.

For example, as a nursing student, we're expected to be the "patient" in our lab classes. We're expected to disrobe, wear a gown, and allow a classmate to practice on us. In any other discipline, this would be pretty outrageous. Requiring an art student to model for class, nude or semi-nude, isn't common. They hire models. I know they have "practice patients" for medical and nursing students. My main issue with this expectation was that it is assumed that *all* students will be comfortable with being this patient. It was never discussed in any of our classes, orientation, etc. And here comes my liberal arts line of questioning...

1. What if you have a history of domestic violence, sexual abuse, or rape? You would have to divulge these details in objection to participating in this way. And you would most certainly stand out among your classmates who'd inevitably wonder why you wouldn't participate.

2. What if you have body image issues, past history of eating disorders? Being weighed weekly, complete with a BMI calculation and a recommendation for weight loss, could wreak havoc on what self-esteem you have.

Since there was absolutely no discussion regarding opting out if you felt uncomfortable, it seems as if the program doesn't consider the feelings of individuals who may have these issues or others like it. And this general quit-your-whining and just-do-it mentality is not something I'm used to. And since we're pressured to assimilate, no one speaks of these feelings. I'm sure I'm not the only student whose had these feelings or issues. But others aren't going to express anything to buck the system - so-to-speak. So it's a matter of processing these new feelings and asking if others may feel the same way.

My friend from California is feels similarly to myself. We're both confused at how easily our new group of classmates just do everything without questioning. Perhaps that's what my liberal arts education taught me...question everything, especially when it requires you to be semi-undresses among your classmates. It brings a whole new meaning to going to school naked.

My nursing friends, any thoughts?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't know if it has as much to do with your liberal arts education as much as it has to do with your willingness to speak up for yourself. I think a lot of people regardless of their education just tend to go with the crowd/herd. Its the whole Kitty Genevieve phenomenom (kind of)...a crowd of people will look to everyone else and do what they do and if no one else complains they become a "team player" and say nothing as well.

Amy said...

not a nursing friend but this sounds outrageous! if i were in your class i would definitely be bucking the system, no doubt about it!

Ciarin said...

Hmmm, seems pretty odd. Frankly I am surprised that a 'good' school like Emory would be doing this. I never had to do this when I was in nursing school. The students I teach have mannequins, Sim Man, Noelle, and IV simulator arms. Then there are ...actual patients...oooooooooh. Now when I was doing my graduate degree we did perform complete assessments (and I do mean complete - breast exam and all) as well as what we called pap camp. Yes, you got it, we did paps on each other. But anyone could opt out and there were others willing to allow more than one person to do a pelvic exam on them so it worked out. But it was embarassing.

None said...

That's pretty crazy and I agree with you about the potential for some students to have real issues with this.

One Hot Mama said...

>> We're both confused at how easily our new group of classmates just do everything without questioning. >>

I shouldn't think that this would be a surprise, actually. These are women (and men?) who are voluntarily entering the medical model. The medical model does not allow for "patient" questioning or bucking the system. There are many articles written on "Getting to Yes" and achieving patient compliance. As you may know, the midwifery model encourages women to question, to think for themselves, to decide for their own healthcare.

But how many women entering a hospital question procedures? How many buck the system and have a natural birth with no IV, wearing their own clothes and pushing in a position OTHER than semi-recumbant? Maybe about 3-4%. Most all women are "good patients" and do what they're told no matter how uncomfortable (or irrelevant, or non-evidence based, or unphysiological) it may be.

minority midwife said...

Ohhhh yes. I jost wrote a post about this, too, and soon to write another one since I had a mini breakdown today in advanced physical assessment class...

http://www.minoritymidwiferystudent.blogspot.com/

Go to someone, say something if you're not comfortable. Seriously. I said a very simple "I'm not taking off my clothes." I'm in a program like yours, and I agree it's crazy how people just start strippin'.

I'm going to link you and keep up with your experiences...I'm considering Emory for PhD.

LP

L and D Nurse said...

As a new grad from a nursing program when you start working in the field you are going to be thankful that you've had experience performing these skills on a live person!!!

Now since you have been in the patient's shoes (gown as it were) you have an appreciation for what they are feeling when they come to the hospital for treatment.

L and D Nurse said...

As a newly graduated nurse I can tell you that you are going to thank your lucky stars that you got to do all of this practice on a real person!!

Now you have an appreciation for what a patient feels when they take their clothes off for a nurse/doctor...you won't get jaded about their feelings.

We all have to learn on someone... at least your future patients will benefit from one of your classmates ponying up.