Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's a boy!

I will preface this post by saying that since I was probably 18, I have had the unrelenting desire to have children. I frequently dream about being pregnant, giving birth, or breastfeeding. It's quite odd -- I don't know anyone else who has dreams like this. I have had girls, boys, twins. Well anyways, last night I dreamt I had a baby boy. And he had red hair. What's more is that I had the baby in the car. On my way to the hospital. But there is no way in hell I would have my child at the hospital, unless there was a major emergency. I've never had a dream about my fantasy birth. So it's clear that I've thought about -- if I have an ideal birth situation. It was so strange because neither I or Beloved have anything near red hair. I told her about it this morning and she jokingly said that baby wasn't hers. So what would be your ideal birth?

My test last week went well. I should have studied more but I did get an A without too much of a problem. Last week's clinical rotation was hard -- teenagers having babies! I have a little sister who will be 16 in just a couple of days. It's interesting when you're caring for someone the same age as your sibling because I relate her care to the kind of care I'd want my sister to get. However, I did get to do some really great breastfeeding teaching. My first patient actually had a doula who helped her during labor and delivery as part of an organization that targets teen mothers. It was great to see her so well-supported. This week I will be doing my mother-baby rotation which I'm looking forward to. I want to have more clinical, hands-on time with the moms and babies. There's not a whole lot we're allowed to do in labor and delivery. The breastfeeding thing just came by as a fluke and I seized the opportunity.

I'm serving as backup for a fellow student who is in the doula co-op. She's a pretty new doula and has been asking for advice. I kind of like getting asked for help because it shows me that I know more than I think I do. I loaned her my doula bag of tricks too. I will be doing another birth in March. I have decided I want to get an externship this summer. There are two that I want to apply for -- so we'll see which one I get. I desperately need to get back to the workforce. I've never been unemployed before. Anyways -- I have to get back to class to see how I did on my test I took this morning. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Lo said...

I've also had childbirth dreams from the time I was very young...started about 12 or 13 and didn't let up.

My ideal birth is a home birth, which I didn't expect, but after Co's hospital birth I think that's the way I want to go (if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant).

Somenurse said...

You are not the only one, trust me. My wierdest was about my mother. She gave birth to a baby boy, named it styrofoam! Yes you heard me right, Styrofoam. Problem was she couldn't breastfeed him, so i hid by injecting myself with strawberry flavored milk with little chunks of real strawberries in it, my brain made that distinction very clear.

Most recent was two dreams in one night, the first was the one with the TENS machine. We have been learning about them in class, so I had one for labor and my husband had one for his spinal cord injury (just like a man to not be helpful when his wife is in labor!).
Then i dremed that my friend who is really 9mo pregnant and I who was also prego, but only in my dreams were having our baby as we waddled across the highway with our baby's heads protruding from between our thighs.
My dream labor is at home with my mom and sister and a great midwife and doula, natural, supportive, hollistic. I am really digging a water birth, it just makes so much sense. L&D/midwifery is my passion but hospice is growing on me too, so i guess i like to bring them into the world and take them out with dignity and respect and honor people's wishes of how they want the scene to be set.