Sunday, February 10, 2008

Off to a Great Start

I know I haven't updated in awhile. A lot has been on my plate as well as on my mind. I need to mull over my thoughts about a recent birth I attended as a doula. I still haven't quite made peace with that birth, but I'm working on it.

So yesterday was my first official day on labor and delivery. Although clinical started last week, I was on antepartum (high risk pregnancy) and then spent a little time in the intermediate nursery. No labor and delivery. It was kind of boring. But this week I got to be in the action. When I arrived on the floor, my clinical instructor told me they were about to have a twin vaginal birth, if I wanted to see it. I then hurried to the birth. When I got there, the doctor was telling mom that she could push if she wanted to. The first baby came out head first in about 2 pushes. A few minutes later, it looked as though her vagina had blown up a water balloon. It was the second baby's bag of waters, still intact. Inside the bag, you could see these little feet floating in the amniotic fluid. Doc broke the bag, then you saw the little feet in detail. About a push and a half later, the baby emerged. Everyone was fine. Who knew I would see a vaginal twin birth on my first day in L&D, let alone a double footling breech? My clinical instructor has never seen that. I took the birth as a sign that I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to get an externship this summer. I think I will get one -- just for the extra experience and the money doesn't hurt either. We'll see what ends up happening. Anyways -- I have a huge test in Patho/Pharmacology so I need to get to studying.

6 comments:

Kim aka Mommy said...

How exciting you got to witness that birth!

Sorry about the "homesick" pic. ;o)

Lo said...

That birth does sound amazing.

Em said...

Seriously, studying is overrated. My new hobby is spending all night praying that none of my patients die before I can present their cases to my preceptors. Much more useful than studying - ha ha ha.

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi there, just a quick note to say that I have recommended your blog to the students I teach. best wishes from down under, Sarah
http://tinyurl.com/3dxbvy

Style Police said...

You lucky thing! Sounds like you're having fun (apart from the dull bits) xxx

drc said...

Congrats on getting to see the birth of twins! I hope you passed your test with flying colors.