Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blech

I don't feel so hot this morning. I'm up early at school for this dumb emergency preparedness simulation. In fact, I thought the sim was at 8am, but it really doesn't start until 9am. Boo. I could have slept an extra hour. Oh well. My stomach is upset this morning. It kinda feels like I still have last night's dinner in there. Worrisome, but I'm going to just keep an eye on it. So I'm sorta nauseous and cranky. And I've already taken some Tums that haven't helped much. I have a pocketfull just in case.

Went to work on Tuesday night and had my first bleeder. Yay! Not yay that someone bled, but yay that I got to experience it. My boss and I had joked that I hadn't had one yet so I suppose she jinxxed me. This lady had a normal (vaginal) delivery and everything looked alright when she came up to the floor. Although, I had a nagging feeling about her. Sure enough, within an hour, she almost completely tanked. Hypotension, lots of bleeding -- we had to break out the "bleeder box." The box is this bright orange tacklebox full of things you'd need to handle a bleeder. Think: a code cart, sort of. Tons of people come -- supervisors, LDR charge, MD, the lab, etc. I helped out a bunch -- documented, ran to get supplies, etc. Overall, we fixed her and her bleeding stopped. So yay. Score one for me.

After a bleeder, you have to replace the box. This was my job which involved me carrying the old one down to the basement of the hospital. BTW, hospital basements are never a good thing. The place I had to go was next door to the morgue. Lovely. Also, this bright orange box marked in bold with "BLEEDER BOX" catches a lot of attention if you're just walking around. Several people (staff mostly) were like OMG where are you going? And I was like...Oh no --- nowhere -- we already did it.

((Yawn.)) Anyways...I think that's as exciting as I get this early in the morning. I hope my stomach gets better soon. I hate feeling nauseous. More later.

No comments: