Monday, February 8, 2010

Gr.

So today was supposed to be my first official day in clinical. I got back into town last night, got all ready...woke up super early (circa 5am...wtf.) Traffic sucked royally this morning so it took like an hour-plus to get to the hospital. But I managed to get there on time. 4 accidents later. I walk onto the unit where my midwife-preceptor was getting report from the off-going midwife. I say good morning. That's when she says there's a problem. Apparently, the new midwife who is still orienting to the practice, made a last minute schedule change and would be working today. They didn't want us working at the same time. So all three of them (new midwife, off-going midwife and my preceptor) were like, "Sorry. You have to leave. We can't have you here today." I guess my disappointment was obvious and they tried to smooth it over with, "Don't be upset. You can come another day." But cue my tearful (not-so-graceful) exit.

I am prone to tearfulness when I am super frustrated and angry. And such was the situation this morning. I really was excited and prepared for my first day. I drove 20+ miles in shitty rush hour morning traffic to get there. And they (all of them) didn't care at all. There was no professional courtesy of a phone call at least. I'm certain they knew prior to my arrival of said scheduling conflict. But no one called. Didn't even apologize really. Because they really don't care how much it inconvenienced me. So...I had to get back into my car and drive another 1+ hour through even crappier traffic to get home. What a great freakin way to start my week.

On a happier note, my weekend away with B was awesome. We spent some quality time together...just hanging out. Saw Dear J*hn. It was a cute movie --- two people who have to spend most of their time apart -- a theme with which we can relate. But I didn't really like the ending. We had a fabulous brunch and meandered around an art museum. I have also come to some final decisions about Valentine's Day and I think she'll like what I've got planned. She'll be here on Friday night. We're having dinner with some of my good friends. Then I've got us dinner reservations for Saturday night. There will probably be some brunch somewhere in the mix, but she leaves Monday. I'm so happy to see her two weekends in a row.

No comments: