Thursday, February 25, 2010

A pretty easy week

School has been relatively mellow compared to last semester. All of my classes (except for midwifery) have take-home exams and finals. Makes my life a little bit easier. The pharm class still isn't as useful as I'd like for it to be, but I'm making it work. I've got today off and clinical tomorrow. March will be a lot busier...with me in clinic at least 2-3x/week. I should probably continue that trend throughout the rest of my program. Currently, my practice doesn't want me to do 24hr on-call days so I'm stuck going twice a week for 12hr days. Ah well. I was hoping I could be in the hospital overnight without the docs-on-call to see how the midwives manage their patients on their own. Even though the midwives in my practice do most vaginal deliveries, the docs really have a say in how the labor management goes when they're there. So far, I've only seen one hands-off-let-the-midwives-do-it doc who really only provided guidance when we wanted to consult him.

Delivery-wise, I've caught 3 babies so far. I'm pretty much even with the other midwives in my class although one of my classmates has done 5. The sweet number is 40 to graduate, but I'm sure I'll have more than that by December when I finish. So far, my deliveries have been relatively straightforward, healthy and normal. My last catch was Thursday as soon as I got to the hospital. The off-going midwives (my manwife & the practice's new midwife-on-orientation) had saved her for me. :) She was C/C/+1 when me and Midwife A got into the room. Shortly thereafter, I caught baby #3. My first OP (aka sunny side up.) She was a teeny thing -- just under 6lbs but very cute. Mom was intact so no suturing. After that delivery, we had absolutely nothing else to do for the rest of the day save a couple (not in labor) triage pts. I have yet to see a pt in the hospital (laboring or triage) that I've seen in the office as well. I'm sure that will change soon, but I'm still having fun with it. Life is good.

As an aside...there has been a F*cebook explosion of pregnancies among my friends' list. Offhand I can think of at least 7 people who are pregnant. Two people announced pregnancies yesterday and one was announced the day before. It's insane! While I'm super happy for everyone, there is a tinge of jealousy. I wonder what is in the water these days :)

Me & B are doing well and still going strong. I'll get to see her in about a week as she breezes through here on her way out West. Spring Break is also fast-approaching and I'm planning on flying up to see her that weekend after being in clinical three days in a row. Things with the live-in ex gf are also okay. She was kind of mad at me about Vday weekend but soon got over it. I even suspect she's seeing someone (possibly a guy?) We really don't talk about who we're dating and I'd like to keep it that way. I think that could open a Pandora's box of drama that my quiet living situation doesn't need. Our biggest disagreement is about post-breakup-sock-ownership. Lol.

No comments: